FIVE WAYS TO BREAK INTO THE FUNERAL INDUSTRY
So you carry a strong fascination for the darker side of things. Maybe you want to forge a career in the funeral services industry?
Get your hands dirty and delve into the biz a bit!
EMPIREss Caitlin Doughty, a mortician who helps people understand death via her hilarious and fact-packed Ask A Mortician webseries, suggests these low-cost ways to find out whether you really want to spend your time dancing with corpses:
- READ BOOKS! The American Way of Death by Jessica Mitford gives a brutally honest picture of the industry.
- VISIT CEMETERIES, MEMORIALS and FUNERAL HOMES. It’s not morbid, they are there to be visited!
- TALK TO PEOPLE IN THE INDUSTRY. Any funeral or death worker who loves their job will want to talk.
- VOLUNTEER AT A FUNERAL HOME. Just don’t expect a glamorous job right away, you have to work your way up.
- WATCH MOVIES! A Certain Kind of Death, a documentary about the funeral industry and Departures, a Japanese film that won Best Foreign Language Film at the 2009 Oscars, are a great place to start.
(Check out the Complete films below)